1 lb cubed venison
1 cup flour
Salt & pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil; divided
3 tablespoons butter; divided
1 small shallot; chopped fine
1 small red (or yellow) bell pepper; diced small
2 carrots; sliced thin into circles
2 cloves garlic; minced
1/3 cup white wine
3 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
1 (14.5 oz) can Glory Foods Seasoned Great Northern Beans;
drained but not rinsed
1 (15 oz) can Glory Foods Seasoned Honey Carrots; drained
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Crunchy French bread for serving
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cover meat cubes in flour then sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and butter in a medium sized Dutch oven.
- When butter is sizzling add venison cubes and brown on all sides. Tip out onto a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining oil and butter to pot. Stir in shallot, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté on very low heat for 5 minutes. Add wine and continue to cook on low for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in vegetable broth, fresh herbs and the venison.
- Cover and bake in oven for 40 minutes; stirring once.
- After 30 minutes stir in the beans, carrots and fresh herbs; bake for 20 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and stir in lemon juice.
- Serve with crunchy French bread or rolls, if desired.