Ham and Bean Soup from Scratch
Serves: 10-12 servings
- 1/2 cup dry pink lentils
- 1 ham bone with some meat still attached filtered water to cover
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 onions; peeled and quartered
- 2 celery stick; chopped into big pieces
- 1 (32 oz) carton natural chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can Glory Foods Seasoned Great Northern Beans
- 1 (15 oz) can Glory Foods Seasoned Butter Beans
- 1 (15 oz) can Glory Foods Seasoned Red Beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (so not drain)
- 1 (2.5 oz) bean soup spice mix*
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- freshly chopped parsley
*We like Bob’s Red Mill brand
- Soak lentils in water for 3 hours.
- Place ham bone in a super large stockpot and just cover with filtered water.
- Add onions and celery and simmer for 6 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bone from pot and shred the meat (discarding bone and any gristle).
- Strain soup over a fine mesh strainer into another large soup pot (discarding all solids).
- Place soup over low heat and stir in tomatoes and spice mix.
- Simmer for 2 hours to reduce liquid to get a more concentrated flavor.
- After 2 hours add drained lentils, chicken broth, tomatoes, all beans (do not rinse beans), and shredded ham; simmer one hour more.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Before serving, top with chopped parsley.
- Serve with fresh, crunchy bread and butter, if desired.
Servings: 4 Large Bowls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours
Recipe by: Michaela Rosenthal
Products used in this recipe
« Back to All Recipes
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.