Good Luck New Years Day Blackeye Pea Frijoles
Serves: 2-3 servings
- 4 thick strips bacon; diced
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic; minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper; seeded and diced
- 2 cups natural chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (2 oz) jar pimentos; drained
- 1 (15 oz) can Glory Foods Seasoned Blackeye Peas; drained
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce
- 1 avocado; diced
*corn or flour tortillas for serving
- In a large saucepan, fry bacon and onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain off excess fat, return to heat and stir in garlic and jalapeño, cooking for for 2-3 minutes (stirring constantly to avoid burning garlic).
- Add broth, pimentos and black eye peas; simmer on extra low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in hot sauce.
- Divide between warmed bowls and top with diced avocado.
- Best served hot with tortillas.
Yield: 2-3 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Recipe by: Michaela Rosenthal
Products used in this recipe
« Back to All Recipes
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.