Corn Grits with Fried Green Tomatoes
fried green tomatoes:
- 2 large green tomatoes; cut into 3 thick slices
- flour for dredging
- 2 large eggs; beaten well
- 2 cups cracker crumbs or breading of your choice
- peanut oil for frying
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup (quick cooking) grits
- 2 tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. purpose seasoning salt
- 1 (15 oz.) can Glory Foods Skillet Corn
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- ground pepper
- Dredge tomato slices into flour then dip into egg. Coat with cracker crumbs; set aside.
- Heat oil to 375°F.
- Fry tomatoes (using an electric skillet, if possible) for 2 minutes on each side (being careful not to burn).
- Drain tomatoes on paper towel, and keep warm by covering with a tea towel.
- Bring water to a boil and whisk in grits; cook according to box directions.
- Stir in butter, seasoning salt and Glory Foods Skillet Corn; cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove grits from heat and stir in lemon zest.
- To serve, spoon grits onto 4 warmed dinner plates and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Serve fried green tomatoes alongside grits.
Recipe by Michaela Mercer Rosenthal, tangerineOthyme@yahoo.com
Products used in this recipe
« Back to All Recipes
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.