Blackeye Pea Gumbo
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup okra, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (15 oz.) can Glory Foods Seasoned Southern Style Blackeye Peas
- Heat 1/3 cup oil in medium saucepan over medium/low heat. Whisk in flour, whisking constantly 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbs. oil in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in okra, onion, celery and garlic. Cook 10 minutes.
- Thoroughly blend roux into vegetable mix. Stir in water, tomatoes, parsley, salt, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in ham and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- Stir in Glory Foods Seasoned Southern Style Blackeye Peas and continue cooking until heated through. Serve over rice.
Products used in this recipe
« Back to All Recipes
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.