Apple Crumb Cake
Serves: 8 slices
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup wheat bran*
- 2-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans Glory Foods Fried Apples, drained well (reserving 1 tbs. liquid)
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 tbs. unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together the butter, salt, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and brown sugar; mix well. Add wheat bran, then the flour in 2 stages. Remove half of dough and set aside.
- Add egg and egg yolk to remaining dough and blend well. Press this dough into a greased 9” springform pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon Glory Foods Fried Apples over crust (leaving a one inch border). Scatter reserved dough onto apples and return to oven; bake an additional 40 minutes.
- To make caramel topping, place the caramel, apple liquid and butter in a glass dish. Microwave for 30 seconds; drizzle over warm cake. Serve with ice cream if desired.
*Wheat bran can be found at health food stores and many well stocked supermarkets. You may use any nut flour in place of wheat bran.
Recipe by Michaela Mercer Rosenthal, tangerineOthyme@yahoo.com
Products used in this recipe
« Back to All Recipes
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.