Vegetables reign in October and beyond
October 25, 2012
October is Vegetarian Awareness Month, but Americans are fairly keen on eating their vegetables regardless of what the calendar says.
A study from the Economic Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture shows each year we consume a whopping 384.1 pounds of vegetables per person, compared to 270.7 pounds of meat.
That’s right. Even those of us who are moved most by meat make room in our hearts and on our plates for vegetables because we know vegetables do the body good.
Vegetables have various nutrients that help promote optimum health. Collard greens, for example, are one of the world’s healthiest foods and are loaded with 21 nutrients, including vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and fiber.
Each of the aforementioned nutrients play vital roles in the way our bodies function.
Found naturally in plants, especially greens, vitamin K goes straight to our liver and is known as a clotting vitamin because without it our blood would not clot. In addition to collard greens, turnip greens, kale, spinach, mustard greens and green beans all have extraordinary amounts of vitamin K.
The most nutritious vegetables, including carrots and cabbage, also have the wonderful characteristic of being sources of protein, potassium, iron and folic acid, which essential is in creating healthy red blood cells and helps prevent common birth defects.
Yes indeed, as we all know, vegetables are grand.
Vegetarians, however, are still a relatively small group compared to the rest of the U.S. population that must have its meat. A Gallup poll released earlier this year revealed only five percent of adults identified themselves as vegetarians compared to six percent in 1999 and 2001.
The growing diversity available to vegetarians, however, has not remained static.
Restaurants, retail food companies and natural food stores are among the businesses dedicated to offering vegetarians a diversity of choices by way of menus and products.
Glory Foods’ Sensibly Seasoned™ vegetables are a low sodium food that present vegetarians with delicious offerings that meet the American Heart Association’s criteria for being low in saturated fat and cholesterol, which may lower heart disease risks.
Canned goods in the Glory Foods’ Sensibly Seasoned line include string beans, pinto beans, mixed greens, red beans, black beans and a trio vegetable mixture called tomatoes, okra and corn. Each is also lower in sodium, with all containing 50 percent less salt than the regular canned versions. Plus, every vegetable can easily stand on its own as a nutritious meal or be paired with other yummy vegetables.
Glory Foods® Seasoned Southern Style also offers meat-free options for vegetarians. Our skillet corn, string beans with potatoes and honey carrots are also delicious options.
Casserole dishes, soups, quiches and Crock Pot recipes are all beloved friends of Glory Foods’ vegetables. Only one’s imagination limits the versatility and tastes that can be created by simply opening flavor you won’t believe came from a can.
Try the following recipe below to experience the vegetarian delight of gumbo featuring Glory Foods® Sensibly Seasoned™ products.
Sensibly Seasoned Vegetarian Gumbo
1 teaspoon fresh jalapeno, minced
1/4 cup white onion, 1/4” dice
1/4 cup red bell pepper, 1/4” dice
2 cups vegetarian broth
2 cups vegetable juice cocktail, low sodium
1 can Glory Foods® Sensibly Seasoned™ Tomatoes, Okra & Corn
1 can Glory Foods® Sensibly Seasoned™ Red Beans
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
2 cups white rice, cooked
Place the jalapeno, onion and peppers in a 3-to-4 quart saucepan. Heat and start stirring. Add about 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir the vegetables occasionally until softened. Add remaining vegetable broth, vegetable juice, Glory Foods® Sensibly Seasoned™ Tomatoes, Okra & Corn, Glory Foods® Sensibly Seasoned™ Red Beans and ground black pepper. Heat gently until the gumbo comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with a heaping 1/4 cup of white rice in each bowl. Serves 6-8.
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
- The Origin of Collard Greens
- Mother’s Day Cooking Ideas
- Glory Foods Cultivates Canned Food Education at 14th annual Micki Zartman Scarlet & Gray Ag Day
- Glory Foods Launches Social Media Photo Contest To Celebrate Mother’s Day
- Glory Foods Continues Successful Sourcing of Vegetables from Southeastern United States Farmers
- Glory Foods Reintroduces Sensibly Seasoned All Natural Lower Sodium Product Line
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.