Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
November 09, 2012
Thanksgiving assures us that tons of turkeys are on tables across America.
More than 248.5 million turkeys were raised in 2011 and Americans consumed an estimated 46 million of them at Thanksgiving, according to the National Turkey Federation.
Although turkeys are a common denominator during the holidays, the sides accompanying those turkeys vary from region to region.
Enter Loretta Pasculli Lawrence.
She is a native of Hoboken, N.J., who grew up under the culinary influence of her mother, Catherine Nicoletta Cerrato Pasculli.
During Thanksgiving, her mother would prepare two meals – one reflected their Italian heritage, while the other was a bold nod to their American roots.
“All of us kids wanted turkey and dressing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and the whole works,” said Lawrence, who now calls South Carolina home. “But my father wanted homemade ravioli, braciole (seasoned rolled beef stuffed with garlic, ham and cheese), stuffed artichokes and other traditional Italian foods.”
The family would first devour the Thanksgiving table of Italian food, which meant they had the American meal later, including the turkey, and it lasted the entire week.
As an adult, Lawrence cooks only one meal at Thanksgiving, incorporating American classics and her childhood Italian favorites. She is not, however, the only American that relishes showcasing cultural and regional heritage on the day we give turkey a special salute.
A Thanksgiving in California meshes down-home flavors with upscale flair that delivers barbecue turkey with maple-mustard glaze, sourdough, apple and almond dressing, roasted root vegetables prepared with apple juice, grilled Portobello mushrooms mingled with sweet peppers and onions and a pear and walnut cake served with lemon custard sauce. This is what a California Thanksgiving can look like.
Yet if you head to New England, don’t be surprised to find a turkey, local ham, chestnut and sausage stuffing, pearl onions in cream sauce with bacon, roasted Brussels sprouts, twice-baked potatoes with cheese and horseradish and pumpkin pie on the Thanksgiving table with other fixings.
Southerners, too, have their own takes on Thanksgiving meals that can vary, like anywhere else, from place to place.
Macaroni and cheese, collard greens, pecan pie, sweet potato pie, mashed potatoes and stuffing with chicken livers and gizzards may be among some of the foods accompanying the turkey.
No matter where you are in this land, you can count on Glory Foods to help you add Southern flavor to your Thanksgiving meal.
Glory Foods® Seasoned Southern Style vegetables will provide any Thanksgiving meal with an array of sides that taste great straight from the can. In addition, Glory Foods® Sensibly Seasoned™ vegetables all have lower sodium, without meat and are ideal for vegetarians sides to serve alone or include for your beloved Thanksgiving recipes.
You just have to decide which of our products – black-eyed peas, green beans, honey carrots, candied yams and more – will best showcase your cooking finesse, culinary customs and regional influence.
Here is a side dish recipe from Glory Foods® that will help make your Thanksgiving dinner the stuff of epicurean legend.
Maple Bacon Lima Beans
1/2 cup Raw bacon slices, diced 1/2"
1/4 cup Onions, diced 1/4"
1/2 cup Maple Syrup, pure or imitation
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, ground
2 (14.5-ounce) cans Glory Foods® Seasoned Southern Style Lima Beans
2 each Raw bacon slices, cut in half
Place the diced bacon and onions in a nonstick pan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and start to brown, and the bacon is mostly cooked.
Add black pepper, maple syrup and Glory Foods® Lima Beans to the pan. Mix until well combined.
Pour the bean mixture into an 8"x 8"x 2" casserole dish. Top the bean mixture with the raw bacon slices.
Bake in a 350-degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are thickened.
- 2017 Glory Foods and Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- How Food Brings Everyone Together
- McCall Farms Expanding Florence County Operations
- Glory Farms “See-Thru” Can Wins Gama Innovation Packaging Award.
- Pasta Salads for Summer
- A Red, White & Blue Holiday
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.