Summer Fest: Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley
March 21, 2012
We've had a great time with Food Network's Summer Fest over the last few weeks. We're sad that it's almost over, but we've made great new friends, discovered some of the most amazing food writers around, and have been inspired by all the talent and creativity online.
This week, we are celebrating broccoli, the last "super vegetable" in this year's Summer Fest lineup. Read on to learn more about this vegetable and see our favorite broccoli recipe. As always, be sure to check out the other recipes below.
Broccoli is a member of the cabbage family that harkens back to the days of ancient Rome. This vegetable is high in vitamins C, A, and K, folate, and dietary fiber. Broccoli can be enjoyed raw or cooked, and steaming is best if you're trying to increase dietary fiber. Eating one and a half cups of broccoli 2 or 3 times per week helps to lower cholesterol, detoxify the body, prevent cancer, promote healthy eyes, and even fight allergies. This is a vegetable that's hard to beat.
We often see beautiful broccoli florets served without the stems and leaves, and this is a shame. The stems contain a good deal of fiber and impart a sweet, sometimes almost nutty, flavor. While the outer leaves are tough and should be peeled away, the inner leaves contain more beta-carotene than the florets and are as delicious as any other variety of greens.
Broccolini, or baby broccoli, is becoming more available in stores these days. Like baby corn, broccolini makes a great between-meals snack and can be happily enjoyed raw. Also in stores now more than ever before, is broccoflower, a fun cross between broccoli and cauliflower, and broccoli raab, the green leafy relation that also hails from Italy.
If you want to grow broccoli in the garden, from seed, you'll find stylishly named varieties, like Bay Meadows, Arcadia, De Cicco, Blue Wind, Gypsy, Amadeus, Diplomat, and Green Magic. And, like herbs, broccoli is also a "kitchen vegetable". At least one seed grower explains that anyone can grow broccoli sprouts in the kitchen, year-round.
Our Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley combines our savory seasoning butter with fresh ingredients. We've used our Southern-style Seasoned Cooking Base as a flavorful foundation. Feel free to make your own, or check our product locator to see where you can find our specialty Bases in your area.
Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley
Savory Seasoning Butter
2 tablespoons Glory Foods® Seasoned Cooking Base (choose Beef, Chicken or Roast Vegetable)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
- Mix the Seasoned Cooking Base and butter or margarine in a small bowl until well blended.
- Let stand at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Place the seasoned butter in a small, tightly covered container. Keep refrigerated after each use.
Serving Suggestions: Stir butter into cooked vegetables noodles, rice, mashed or boiled potatoes. Excellent brushed onto grilled or pan-fried steaks. (Makes enough to season three pounds of vegetables.)
Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley
4 teaspoons of Savory Seasoning Butter
1 lb. (total) fresh cut broccoli--including florets, stems, and leaves--plus your favorite summer vegetables (we recommend collard greens, okra, zucchini, carrots, bell peppers, bell peppers, onions, and baby corn)
1/2 cup water
- Prepare your selection of fresh vegetables.
- Add water and Savory Seasoning Butter to a 10" covered skillet. Turn heat to medium and dissolve the butter.
- Raise heat to high and immediately add broccoli stems and carrots and cover for 3 minutes. Then add collard greens and broccoli florets and simmer for three minutes. Then add the rest of vegetables.
- Gently toss vegetables while cooking. Add more water if the pan becomes dry before vegetables are done.
- Steaming time varies with the type of vegetable and size of cut. Allow a total of 8 to 15 minutes for steaming.
* * *
What’s your favorite broccoli recipe? Let us know in the comments, or join in the conversation on Twitter using the hash tag #cookingwith.
Be sure to visit the other Summer Fest blog posts below for even more fun with broccoli.
What's Gaby Cooking: Charred Lemon Broccoli
Purple Cook: Pickled Broccoli Chips
Daily*Dishin: Quick Broccoli and Toasted Walnut Saute
From My Corner of Saratoga: Broccoli with Garlic-Lemon Vinaigrette
Cooking Channel: Broccoli Stir-Fry
Virtually Vegan Mama: Vegan Broccoli Salad
Virtually Homemade: Broccoli Frittata
Zaika Zabardast: Char-Grilled Broccoli with Cherry Chilies and Garlic Tadka
Food2: Slammin' Broccoli Soup
Easy Peasy Organic: A Hands-On Approach to Eating Broccoli
FN Dish: Broccoli and Cheddar, A Perfect Pair
Are you just discovering Summer Fest? Click here for a listing of all of the recipes in our Summer Fest series.
- Pasta Salads for Summer
- A Red, White & Blue Holiday
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
- The Origin of Collard Greens
- Mother’s Day Cooking Ideas
- Glory Foods Cultivates Canned Food Education at 14th annual Micki Zartman Scarlet & Gray Ag Day
- Glory Foods Launches Social Media Photo Contest To Celebrate Mother’s Day
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.