Summer Fest: Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley
March 21, 2012
We've had a great time with Food Network's Summer Fest over the last few weeks. We're sad that it's almost over, but we've made great new friends, discovered some of the most amazing food writers around, and have been inspired by all the talent and creativity online.
This week, we are celebrating broccoli, the last "super vegetable" in this year's Summer Fest lineup. Read on to learn more about this vegetable and see our favorite broccoli recipe. As always, be sure to check out the other recipes below.
Broccoli is a member of the cabbage family that harkens back to the days of ancient Rome. This vegetable is high in vitamins C, A, and K, folate, and dietary fiber. Broccoli can be enjoyed raw or cooked, and steaming is best if you're trying to increase dietary fiber. Eating one and a half cups of broccoli 2 or 3 times per week helps to lower cholesterol, detoxify the body, prevent cancer, promote healthy eyes, and even fight allergies. This is a vegetable that's hard to beat.
We often see beautiful broccoli florets served without the stems and leaves, and this is a shame. The stems contain a good deal of fiber and impart a sweet, sometimes almost nutty, flavor. While the outer leaves are tough and should be peeled away, the inner leaves contain more beta-carotene than the florets and are as delicious as any other variety of greens.
Broccolini, or baby broccoli, is becoming more available in stores these days. Like baby corn, broccolini makes a great between-meals snack and can be happily enjoyed raw. Also in stores now more than ever before, is broccoflower, a fun cross between broccoli and cauliflower, and broccoli raab, the green leafy relation that also hails from Italy.
If you want to grow broccoli in the garden, from seed, you'll find stylishly named varieties, like Bay Meadows, Arcadia, De Cicco, Blue Wind, Gypsy, Amadeus, Diplomat, and Green Magic. And, like herbs, broccoli is also a "kitchen vegetable". At least one seed grower explains that anyone can grow broccoli sprouts in the kitchen, year-round.
Our Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley combines our savory seasoning butter with fresh ingredients. We've used our Southern-style Seasoned Cooking Base as a flavorful foundation. Feel free to make your own, or check our product locator to see where you can find our specialty Bases in your area.
Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley
Savory Seasoning Butter
2 tablespoons Glory Foods® Seasoned Cooking Base (choose Beef, Chicken or Roast Vegetable)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
- Mix the Seasoned Cooking Base and butter or margarine in a small bowl until well blended.
- Let stand at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Place the seasoned butter in a small, tightly covered container. Keep refrigerated after each use.
Serving Suggestions: Stir butter into cooked vegetables noodles, rice, mashed or boiled potatoes. Excellent brushed onto grilled or pan-fried steaks. (Makes enough to season three pounds of vegetables.)
Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley
4 teaspoons of Savory Seasoning Butter
1 lb. (total) fresh cut broccoli--including florets, stems, and leaves--plus your favorite summer vegetables (we recommend collard greens, okra, zucchini, carrots, bell peppers, bell peppers, onions, and baby corn)
1/2 cup water
- Prepare your selection of fresh vegetables.
- Add water and Savory Seasoning Butter to a 10" covered skillet. Turn heat to medium and dissolve the butter.
- Raise heat to high and immediately add broccoli stems and carrots and cover for 3 minutes. Then add collard greens and broccoli florets and simmer for three minutes. Then add the rest of vegetables.
- Gently toss vegetables while cooking. Add more water if the pan becomes dry before vegetables are done.
- Steaming time varies with the type of vegetable and size of cut. Allow a total of 8 to 15 minutes for steaming.
* * *
What’s your favorite broccoli recipe? Let us know in the comments, or join in the conversation on Twitter using the hash tag #cookingwith.
Be sure to visit the other Summer Fest blog posts below for even more fun with broccoli.
What's Gaby Cooking: Charred Lemon Broccoli
Purple Cook: Pickled Broccoli Chips
Daily*Dishin: Quick Broccoli and Toasted Walnut Saute
From My Corner of Saratoga: Broccoli with Garlic-Lemon Vinaigrette
Cooking Channel: Broccoli Stir-Fry
Virtually Vegan Mama: Vegan Broccoli Salad
Virtually Homemade: Broccoli Frittata
Zaika Zabardast: Char-Grilled Broccoli with Cherry Chilies and Garlic Tadka
Food2: Slammin' Broccoli Soup
Easy Peasy Organic: A Hands-On Approach to Eating Broccoli
FN Dish: Broccoli and Cheddar, A Perfect Pair
Are you just discovering Summer Fest? Click here for a listing of all of the recipes in our Summer Fest series.
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
- The Origin of Collard Greens
- Mother’s Day Cooking Ideas
- Jamie Stolarz’ Kale Chips
- The Benefits of Collard Greens
- Easter and Glory Foods
- Fall Fest: Chicken Smashed Potatoes
- Out with the pyramid, in with the plate!
- Missouri Black Expo With Yolanda Adams
- Honey-Carrot Bread
- Yolanda Adams Health & Lifestyle Tour, Charlotte, NC
- Taste Of Dallas
- In Our Thoughts
- Real Men Cook!
- Bound For Philly With Yolanda Adams
- Join us at the Stone Soul Music & Food Festival
- Glory Foods Soulful Lunches Recipe Contest
- Glorious Holiday Deals!
- Thinking of skipping lunch? Here’s why you shouldn’t
- Praising Houston With Yolanda Adams
- Glory and the Yolanda Adams Health & Lifestyle Tour
- Summer Fest: Skillet Corn Muffins
- Atlanta Jazz Festival 2011
- Summer Fest: Cucumber and Shrimp Boat
- The Taste of Charlotte Festival
- Summer Fest: Collard Greens and Cherry Reduction
- Circle of Sisters Expo
- Hot or cold lunch? THAT is the question.
- Taste of Dallas: Eat. Drink. Shop. Repeat.
- What in the world is a Bento Box?
- Raleigh-bound On the Yolanda Adams Tour
- Glory Foods and the Southern Shows
- Quick Summer Slaw
- Creating Soulful Lunches
- Real Men Cook
- Soulful Lunches Recipe Contest Winners!
- Blackeye Peas and Mango Salsa For Memorial Day
- After Thanksgiving: Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole
- Donna-Marie Ryan’s Muffin Tin Buffalo Chicken Pizza Buns
- Sweet Potato Pudding For Mother’s Day
- Glorious Holiday Meals
- Honoring Our Roots, a Podcast
- The Truth About Canned Vegetables
- The Southern Women’s Shows 2011
- Fall Fest: Creamed Spinach
- Fall Fest: Turnip Greens With Potatoes and Mushrooms
- Taste of Charlotte
- Top 10 Glory Soups for National Soup Month
- Summer Fest: Steamed Broccoli-Vegetable Medley
- Celebrating those who have changed the way we eat!
- Eating health with Glory Foods Sensibly Seasoned vegetables!
- Chef Swett’s Gloriously Stuffed Black Eyed Tomatoes
- Welcome to the Glory Blog!
- Family Meals for Easter
- The Importance of Family Dinners
- The Benefits of Collard Greens
- Fall Fest: Caramel Apple Upside-down Cupcakes
- The Vienna Vegetable Orchestra: Playing With Food
- Cheaper To Keep Her
- Jacksonville Southern Women’s Show
- On the Road Again With Yolanda In Indy!
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.