Summer Fest: Cucumber and Shrimp Boat
March 21, 2012
Food that looks good almost always tastes better. Our Cucumber and Shrimp Boat is one fun way to increase the amount of healthy veggies your family eats on a regular basis. Here's the scoop on the vegetables you'll be serving.Long before salad lettuce was common in the South, the cucumber was King. This is a vegetable that's been prized for 10,000 years, for good reason. Cukes, with their high water content, are helpful in the absorption of dietary fiber. Cucumbers are a good source of vitamins C and A, potassium, magnesium, and silica. There is evidence that including cucumbers in a low-fat, balanced diet, can help to reduce high blood pressure.Fresh slicing cucumbers are best from May through July, ready to cool us down as the weather heats up. Look for thicker veggies with rounded, unwrinkled ends. If you run into them at the store or the farmer's market, give the white varieties a try.Cruciferous veggies--including turnip greens--eaten 3 to 5 times a week can help to prevent cancer. While all contain valuable antioxidants, turnip greens contain the most vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, and manganese. They're an excellent source of vitamin K and and other naturally occurring anti-inflammatories. All cruciferous veggies help the body to detoxify and keep our cells clean.The all-natural seasoned turnip greens in our Sensibly Seasoned line of products are lower in sodium, vegan, fat-free, and preservative-free. We've already slow-simmered these locally grown, calcium-rich greens in a savory broth with onions, garlic, and our favorite Southern spices, to save you time.Get creative with the shape of your boats. It's perfectly OK for them to look like canoes. Mostly girls in the family? Top each one with an edible flower before serving. Mostly boys? Add a flag or toy soldier.Have fun, and enjoy!
Cucumber and Shrimp Boat
Serves: 14-16 Size: 7-8 Portions per half of a cucumber
Cucumber Boat1 English cucumber, washed and dried1 green onion, sliced thinShrimp Salad10 oz. frozen salad shrimp (titi shrimp), thawed, drained, dried1-1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise3/4 tablespoon hot sauce (we recommend our Spicy Vidalia Hot Sauce)1/2 teaspoon pimentos, diced 1/4" and drainedGreens and Cream Cheese Mix2 oz. cream cheese, softened1/2 14.5 oz. Glory Foods® Sensibly Seasoned™ Turnip Greens, drain and squeezed lightly till dry, chopped roughly3 tablespoons pimentos, diced 1/4" and drained
Prepare the Cucumber Boats
- Split the cucumber evenly lengthwise. Shave the skin side to assure the cucumber will sit flat, skin-side down.
- Using the tip of a teaspoon, carefully remove the seeds, loosening the cucumber to create a cavity the length of the cucumber, approximately 1/2" deep.
- Place the frozen shrimp in a colander and drain into a bowl in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Place the thawed shrimp in-between several paper towels and press slightly to remove excess moisture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Place in the refrigerator to keep cool.
Greens and Cream Cheese Mix
- Mix the cream cheese, turnip greens, and 3 tablespoons of pimentos until ll ingredients are well combined and smooth.
Assemble the Cucumber Boats
- Fill the cavity of the cucumber half way up with a smooth layer of greens cream cheese mix and leave a 1/4" border on the sides from the skin to the edge of the cavity.
- Top the greens and cream cheese mix firmly with the shrimp salad, approximately 3/4" high the length of the cucumber. Refrigerate for an hour or so to set up.
- Portion each half assembled cucumber into 7 to 8 evenly spaced diagonal pieces. Place the portions on a serving tray and garnish with green onions.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate till ready to serve. May be held up to 4-6 hours prior to serving.
Summer Fest Cucumber Week
It's cucumber week at Food Network’s Summer Fest, a season-long food and garden celebration where Food Network editors team up with blogs to share tips and recipes for Summer’s best fruits and vegetables.Every two weeks, we'll talk about one of the topics below:August 3: CherriesAugust 17: CornAugust 31: TomatoesSeptember 14: BroccoliWhat’s your favorite way to eat cucumbers? Do you have a tip for working with cucumbers that you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments, or join in the conversation on Twitter using the hash tag #cookingwith.Be sure to visit the other Summer Fest blog posts for even more ideas for using cucumbers this summer:
- Pinch My Salt: Chilled Cucumber, Kefir and Avocado Soup
- What’s Gaby Cooking: Cucumber-Basil Gimlet
- In Jennie’s Kitchen: Radish-Cucumber Crostini
- Big Girl Small Kitchen: Spicy Cucumber Salad with Shallot, Ginger and Mint
- Grecian Kitchen: Summer Cucumber Salad
- And Love It Too: Cucumber, Mint and Watermelon Salad
- Napa Farmhouse 1885: Cucumbers Coolers with Agave Simple Syrup
- Cooking With My Kid: Cucumber Limeade
- FN Dish: Summer Fest: Cucumber Recipes
- CIA Dropout: Relishing Cucumbers
- Healthy Eats: Cool Cucumber Soup
- Food for 7 Stages of Life: Cucumber Cherry Salsa
- Cooking With Elise: Green Tea Cucumber Pops
- Virtually Vegan Mama: Fire-Roasted Tomato and Cucumber Gazpacho
- Food2: When Life Gives You Cucumbers, Make a Cucumber Cocktail
- Cooking Channel: Cucumbers Stuffed with Crab-Mango Salad
- Recipe Girl: Bread and Butter Pickles
- Taste With the Eyes: Spicy Pickled Cucumbers with Wakame and Garlic Blossoms
- Virtually Homemade: Cold Thai Cucumber-Mint Soup
- Add a Pinch: Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
- The Cultural Dish: Ahi Tuna with Cucumber Sauce and Salad
- Daily*Dishin: Cool n’ Zesty Cukes: 7 Minute Summer in a Jar
- Daydreamer Desserts: Cubanita Margarita
- Purple Cook: Cucumber Gazpacho with Indian Flavored Shrimp Relish
- Indian Simmer: Cucumber at its Best with Chaat Masala
- Big Apple Nosh: Quick and Easy Homemade Pickles
- Sweet Life Bake: Agua de Pepino
- The Sensitive Epicure: Tzatziki with Grilled Gluten-Free Pitas and Fresh Cucumbers and Peppers
- Zaika Zabardast: Cucumber Gazpacho
- A Way to Garden: Cucumber-Growing Q&A and the Best Pickles
- Cooking with Books: Summer Fest: Cucumbers
- 2017 Glory Foods and Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- How Food Brings Everyone Together
- McCall Farms Expanding Florence County Operations
- Glory Farms “See-Thru” Can Wins Gama Innovation Packaging Award.
- Pasta Salads for Summer
- A Red, White & Blue Holiday
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.