Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
January 29, 2013
Soup can be anything we want it to be – hot, cold, spicy, sweet, hearty or light. It is the one meal we can create with as little or as much as we like.
Our inventiveness works in our favor when soup is what is being served.
Unlike other foods that don’t mesh well with certain ingredients and seasonings, soup takes on anything we like without flinching.
Vegetables, fruits, meat and an assortment of herbs are all comfortable in soup. Therefore, it should not be surprising that foodies designate January as National Soup Month. Soup, however, doesn’t need our validation to prove it is worthy of our highest culinary accolades.
No matter where you go around the globe, you can find people eating soup. For example, in Senegal, butternut squash, peanuts, coriander, cumin and red pepper are the key ingredients used to prepare Peanut and Squash soup. More of us, though, are familiar with the wildly popular Hot and Sour Soup, a go-to bowl of goodness people order regularly from Chinese restaurants.
Yet, the beloved soups of our childhood tend to be the ones that brought us comfort when we are sick, sulking or socializing. Remembrances of chicken noodle soup, tomato bisque and clam chowder are but a few of our fondest memories made over bowls of soup.
Glory Foods, with its vast selection of vegetables, will help guarantee you are never without your most cherished soups. An assortment of canned beans and greens are among the array of products from Glory Foods that lend themselves to traditional and modern soups.
Glory Fireside Soup straddles between the two spheres because it is homey and contemporary. This wonderful soup contains Glory Foods Seasoned Southern Style Collard Greens and bacon.
Here is what you need to make it:
4 slices Bacon, diced 1/2"
2 cups White onion, dice 1/4"
1 (27-ounce) can Glory Foods Seasoned Southern Style Collard Greens, drained, reserving the liquid
3 cups Water
1 quart Heavy cream
3 tablespoons Flour
1/2 cup Water, cold
Salt and black pepper, to taste
To make, cook the bacon halfway in a deep medium-size saucepot. Add onions and cook until soft.
Add the reserved liquid from Glory Foods Seasoned Southern Style Collard Greens to the bacon and onions.
Add the three cups of water and bring to a boil.
Add the heavy cream and return to a boil for 10 minutes.
Combine flour and 1/2 cup cold water, mix thoroughly, and whisk into the pot. Bring back to a simmer, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
Add Glory Foods Seasoned Southern Style Collard Greens, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
To try more soups from Glory Foods, go to our soup recipes page at http://www.gloryfoods.com/recipes/soups-chili/ . You can also use a sister brand of Glory Foods, Simple Suppers, to prepare other aromatic soups by just adding your favorite meat, such as skinless chicken breast to prepare Simple Suppers Chicken ‘N’ Noodles that has chunky dumplings and a special blend of flavorings. To find out more about Simple Suppers, visit http://www.margaretholmes.com/.
- 2017 Glory Foods and Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- How Food Brings Everyone Together
- Glory Farms “See-Thru” Can Wins Gama Innovation Packaging Award.
- Pasta Salads for Summer
- A Red, White & Blue Holiday
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
- The Origin of Collard Greens
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.