McCall Farms Expanding Florence County Operations
November 15, 2017
COLUMBIA, S.C. – McCall Farms, the South Carolina-based manufacturers of Margaret Holmes, Glory Foods, Peanut Patch Boiled Peanuts and Bruce’s Yams, is investing $35 million to expand its existing Florence County operations. This investment is expected to bring 150 new jobs to Effingham, S.C.
Founded by James McCall in 1838, McCall Farms has grown significantly since its inception. Today, as one of America’s leading producers of fresh canned vegetables and fruit, the family-owned company grows its products on 2,000 acres of family farmland in Effingham, S.C., with an additional 25,000 acres contracted throughout South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.
This past September, as part of their long-term growth initiative, McCall Farms acquired the brands of Sager Creek Vegetable Company from Del Monte. The nationally-distributed retail and foodservice brands include Allens, Veg-all, Popeye, Princella and Freshlike. McCall Farms will also be purchasing machinery and equipment from Sager Creek as part of its plant expansion.
Hiring for the new positions is projected to begin in the third quarter of 2018, and interested applicants should visit www.mccallfarms.com for more information.
“Leading brands like Allens fit perfectly with our heritage of making authentic, southern-style vegetables that can be served as a meal, side dish or used as a key cooking ingredient. The opportunity we have to expand the branded products we offer is made possible thanks to our employees. They are truly dedicated and passionate about McCall Farms being known as the preferred supplier for the highest-quality vegetables available in retail and foodservice.” –McCall Farms Co-President Woody Swink
“South Carolina has a rich history in agriculture, and our manufacturing industry is one of the fastest growing in the country. To see McCall Farms continue to succeed here sends an important message to the world that companies are finding what they need to grow and thrive right here in South Carolina.” –Gov. Henry McMaster
“McCall Farms has been a longtime member of the South Carolina business community, and we congratulate them on this latest expansion. Agribusiness continues to be a powerful driver of our state’s economy, and announcements like this one are proof of that.” –Secretary of Commerce Bobby Hitt
“This latest expansion by McCall Farms is a wonderful example of how companies continue to flourish in Florence County. McCall Farms is an exceptional company that takes pride in their products and community. We look forward to helping them continue to grow their business.” –Florence County Council Chairman Kent Caudle
“Florence County is extraordinarily proud that McCall Farms continues their longstanding history of success by creating 150 new jobs and investing $35 million. We look forward to partnering with McCall Farms for years to come.” –Florence County Economic Development Partnership Chairman Frank J. “Buddy” Brand
“We are delighted that McCall Farms continues to grow their company in Florence County. This expansion, by a hometown company, will provide ample agribusiness opportunities to our local citizens.” –S.C. Senate President Pro Tempore Hugh K. Leatherman
“Agribusiness in South Carolina continues to thrive and expand because of companies like McCall Farms. What began in 1838 as a farm in Effingham has grown to an industry leader on the national agribusiness stage. With this latest expansion, McCall Farms is underscoring its local impact and global competitiveness.” –S.C. Agriculture Commissioner Hugh Weathers
FIVE FAST FACTS
- McCall Farms is expanding its existing Florence County operations.
- $35 million investment to create 150 new jobs.
- Headquartered in Effingham, S.C., McCall Farms was established by James McCall in 1838.
- McCall Farms grows its products on 2,000 acres of family farmland in Effingham, S.C., with an additional 25,000 acres contracted throughout South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.
- McCall Farms recently acquired retail and foodservice brands from Sager Creek Vegetable Company, a division of Del Monte, Inc., and will be purchasing some of their machinery and equipment.
About S.C. Department of Commerce
As South Carolina's leading economic development agency, the Department of Commerce works to recruit new businesses and help existing business grow. Commerce has recruited world-class companies to South Carolina such as BMW, Boeing, Continental, Giti Tire, LPL Financial Holdings, Mercedes-Benz Vans, Samsung, Toray and Volvo Cars and also supports startups, small and existing business, innovation and rural development initiatives. Commerce partners with the S.C. Technical College System via readySC to support workforce training and recruiting, and with the S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce, which provides worker training and employment opportunities within the state. With a strong international footprint, since 2011, South Carolina has ranked among top three in the nation for attracting jobs through foreign investment on a per capita basis, according to IBM-Plant Location International. Additionally, in five of seven years, the state has won the Gold Shovel Award from Area Development magazine. For more information, visit www.SCcommerce.com.
Adrienne R. Fairwell, APR
Director of Marketing & Communications
South Carolina Department of Commerce
- 2017 Glory Foods and Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- How Food Brings Everyone Together
- McCall Farms Expanding Florence County Operations
- Glory Farms “See-Thru” Can Wins Gama Innovation Packaging Award.
- Pasta Salads for Summer
- A Red, White & Blue Holiday
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.