Growing Kids through Gardening
August 24, 2016
There's something truly therapeutic about thrusting your hands into warm soil, pulling weeds, artfully placing seeds and plants, watering and grooming for weeks, and then finally harvesting. A group of bright and energetic elementary school students experienced this and more over their summer break recently as they maintained their very own salsa garden.
Scranton Elementary School began their journey with the garden in May 2016. Students and their teachers transferred peppers, tomatoes, onions and cilantro into two large planter boxes in the hope they would flourish over the summer.
And flourish they did! Scranton Elementary teachers said their students literally "took over" the garden, watering, fertilizing and weeding weekly. By the fourth week into the program, they had harvested 54 bell peppers and 50 banana peppers!
When students weren't in the garden, they were taking field trips to learn even more gardening tips to apply in their garden. One field trip was to Moore Farms Botanical Garden to taste fresh vegetables and herbs such as purple basil, oregano, thyme, onions and tomatoes.
They also had the opportunity to hop in the AG Combine Simulator, an interactive mobile educational display unit provided by the South Carolina Farm Bureau Federation that allows users to harvest virtual row crops through the magic of audio visuals in the cab of a real agricultural combine. Participants who "ride' in the combine cab see and hear how SC's farmers harvest a variety of crops.
Their final field trip was to Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens. While there, students saw plants in different habitats and learned how they adapt to their environments. They also visited the Zoo's own vegetable garden.
The students participated in projects and lessons that helped them hone their reading, math and science skills all while learning about gardening. The students researched and created plant cell models; created their very own stepping stones using stained glass and concrete; churned fresh butter; learned how to make paper using recycled scraps; and made edible soil models using chocolate cookies, chips and pudding with gummy worms and sprinkles.
They even became inventors, creating a tool to help gardeners and farmers, and presenting their ideas through PowerPoint presentations and posters. Some genius ideas emerged, such as an automatic weed puller and a 3-way shovel. Students also designed their summer program t-shirts.
In addition, students researched the crops they planted, and recorded information in summer gardening journals about harvesting and pests that affect plant growth. They also researched gardening practices in other countries. The students worked in groups, chose a country such as Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico, Japan and Madagascar, and explored its language, location, religion, crops and government. Additionally they explored regional foods by dining on figs, guacamole, falafels and hummus.
The summer gardening program concluded July 27 with a salsa making fiesta! Students and teachers proudly displayed their bountiful harvest of tomatoes, peppers, onions and herbs. Teachers set up multiple stations for children to rotate between so each of them could experience the different stages of making fresh salsa:
While making salsa, students learned to properly use knives and chop even pieces, as well as how to use different measuring utensils and operate a food processor. After their mason jars were full of yummy, fresh salsa, students manned decorating stations to add decorative paper, twine and glitter to their jars before sharing them with friends and family.
The summer gardening program at Scranton Elementary School was made possible by a group of local businesses, including McCall Farms. One of America’s leading producers of farm fresh canned vegetables and fruit, McCall Farms has been cultivating food for more than 177 years. The family-owned and operated company produces a wide variety of Southern-style products, to include Glory Foods.
- 2017 Glory Foods and Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- How Food Brings Everyone Together
- McCall Farms Expanding Florence County Operations
- Glory Farms “See-Thru” Can Wins Gama Innovation Packaging Award.
- Pasta Salads for Summer
- A Red, White & Blue Holiday
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.