Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
July 01, 2016
With Fourth of July celebrations right around the corner, McCall Farms is sharing recipes for three delicious side dishes that are sure to be a hit with party guests. From Southern BBQ Beans to Mangum’s Pottery Salad, these side dishes are the perfect accompaniment to any main dish and make Independence Day entertaining a breeze.
“McCall Farms side dishes are flavorful, easy to make, and perfect for sharing during Fourth of July get-togethers,” says Annie Ham, marketing director at McCall Farms. “Our recipes not only taste delicious, but they are also packed with nutrients. We’re proud to offer the freshest farm-grown canned produce available.”
McCall Farms invites all to enjoy the following side dishes during Fourth of July festivities:
Southern BBQ Beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbs. mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Seasoned Blackeye Peas, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Seasoned Pinto Beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Lima Beans, drained
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter.
- Add ketchup, sugar, cider vinegar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well blended.
- Add Margaret Holmes Seasoned Blackeye Peas, Margaret Holmes Seasoned Pinto Beans and Margaret Holmes Lima Beans. Stir to combine.
- Place mixture in large casserole dish and bake for one hour.
Green Bean & Tomato Salad
- 1 (27 oz.) can Glory Foods Green Beans (reserve 1/2 can of liquid) OR
- 2 (15 oz.) cans Glory Foods Sensibly Seasoned Green Beans (reserve 1 can of liquid)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbs. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- To prepare the dressing, combine the reserved liquid from the Glory Foods Green Beans, vegetable oil, white vinegar, sugar, black pepper and salt.
- Place tomatoes, the drained can of green beans and the prepared dressing in a large container. Make sure vegetables are submerged.
- Marinate for four hours or longer in the refrigerator.
Mangum’s Pottery Salad
- 1 (15 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Tiny Field Peas
- 1 (15 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Seasoned Blackeye Peas
- 1 (15 oz.) can Margaret Holmes Seasoned Black Beans
- 2 (11 oz.) cans shoe peg corn
- 1 (2 oz.) jar pimentos, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs. sugar
- Drain Margaret Holmes Tiny Field Peas, Margaret Holmes Seasoned Blackeye Peas, Margaret Holmes Seasoned Black Beans, and shoe peg corn. Rinse and drain again.
- Transfer all vegetables to a large bowl. Add pimento, bell pepper, celery and onion. Mix well.
- Mix together apple cider vinegar, oil and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Chill for at least 24 hours to allow flavors to blend. Will keep for one week in refrigerator.
ABOUT MCCALL FARMS:
One of America’s leading producers of farm fresh canned vegetables and fruit, McCall Farms has been cultivating food for more than 177 years. The family-owned and operated company produces a wide variety of Southern-style products. Based in Effingham, South Carolina, McCall Farms products are grown on 2,000 acres of family farmland with an additional 18,000 acres contracted throughout South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. For more information, visit http://www.mccallfarms.com or call (843) 662-2223.
- Pasta Salads for Summer
- A Red, White & Blue Holiday
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
- The Origin of Collard Greens
- Mother’s Day Cooking Ideas
- Glory Foods Cultivates Canned Food Education at 14th annual Micki Zartman Scarlet & Gray Ag Day
- Glory Foods Launches Social Media Photo Contest To Celebrate Mother’s Day
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.