Fall Fest: Creamed Spinach
March 21, 2012
Folks have very strong feelings about spinach--you know it’s good for you, but sometimes it’s hard to convince yourself to eat it. The phrase “eat your spinach” is often associated with doing something you don’t want to do but know you probably should. Even if the healthy benefits of spinach might not be as immediate as some of us remember from Saturday morning cartoons, the long-term benefits are just as dramatic. The trick can be finding a way to eat it that you find appealing.Here are three quick reasons to make spinach a part of your diet:
- Spinach is a nutrient-dense food that is low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals. If you’re trying to lose weight or just maintain your weight, spinach is a great way to get all the good stuff into your body without having to count calories.
- Spinach is a heart-healthy food that is loaded with Vitamins A and C, which are natural antioxidants that help keep cholesterol in check.
- Spinach is versatile. It can be eaten raw in a salad or as part of a sandwich, or cooked and eaten as a dish on its own or added to a soup or other dish.
2 slices raw bacon, diced 1/2"1/4 cup onion, diced 1/4"1/2 tsp. garlic, minced1 pinch black pepper, ground1 pinch nutmeg, ground1-1/4 cups of 2% milk, divided into 1 cup and 1/4 cup2 tbsp. cornstarch1 27 oz. can Glory Foods Spinach, drained1 tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated
- Place diced bacon and onion in a large nonstick saute pan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon begins to brown and the onions soften.
- Stir in the pepper and nutmeg, and immediately add 1 cup of milk. Heat until simmering.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup of milk. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the simmering milk, stirring constantly. Heat until sauce thickens.
- Stir the drained spinach into the sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbling. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Pour into a serving dish and serve immediately.
* * *
Food Network's Fall Fest
We're thinking about spinach this week, as part of Food Network’s Fall Fest, a season-long food celebration where Food Network editors team up with blogs to share ideas and recipes for using fall's best fruits and vegetables.What’s your favorite spinach recipe? Let us know in the comments or on Facebook, or join in the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #cookingwith.Be sure to visit the other Fall Fest blog posts for other great recipes, tips, and ideas:What's Gaby Cooking:Spinach-Artichoke CupsFrom My Corner of Saratoga:Cannelloni Stuffed With Ricotta SpinachAnd Love It Too:Bacon Infused Wilted SpinachNapa Farmhouse 1885:Spinach-Pesto Tacos With Roasted Tomatillo SalsaVirtually Homemade:Spinach Pepita (Pumpkin Seed) PestoCooking With Elise:Spinach and Artichoke FondueThe Sensitive Epicure:Catalan Spinach With Raisins, Pine Nuts and BaconCIA Dropout:Spinach and Cheddar FrittataFN Dish:Stuffed Spinach Recipes
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
- The Origin of Collard Greens
- Mother’s Day Cooking Ideas
- Glory Foods Cultivates Canned Food Education at 14th annual Micki Zartman Scarlet & Gray Ag Day
- Glory Foods Launches Social Media Photo Contest To Celebrate Mother’s Day
- Glory Foods Continues Successful Sourcing of Vegetables from Southeastern United States Farmers
- Glory Foods Reintroduces Sensibly Seasoned All Natural Lower Sodium Product Line
- Jamie Stolarz’ Kale Chips
- The Benefits of Collard Greens
- Easter and Glory Foods
- Fall Fest: Chicken Smashed Potatoes
- Glorious Holiday Meals
- The Charlotte Southern Women’s Show
- Getting Our Boogaloo On
- Cheaper To Keep Her
- Fall Fest: Creamed Spinach
- Orlando Southern Women’s Show
- Bound For Philly With Yolanda Adams
- Jacksonville Southern Women’s Show
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.
Kale Greens Organic Bagged, 10oz.These fresh-cut greens are washed and ready to cook or use in recipes! Learn More »
From Our BlogWomen Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest