Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
August 28, 2013
Is it just us, or does the popularity of drinking your veggies seem to be growing daily? Nearly everywhere you turn there’s someone else swearing by the health benefits of sipping on a liquefied produce concoction.
If you’ve noticed too and found yourself wondering what all the fuss is about, or wondering what the difference is between juicing and smoothies, look no further. Here’s a rundown of the basics:
In the past, smoothies were often little more than dessert in drink form—made with fruit and maybe even ice cream—but today’s smoothies tend to be more health-conscious and green affairs.
Even in a fruit-based smoothie, a handful of greens can add complexity, fiber and a vitamin kick. And if you want to add creaminess (and protein) without the sugar, try adding some tangy nonfat Greek yogurt.
Here’s one easy and tasty smoothie recipe; you’ll be surprised by how the sweet mango and zippy lime mellow the intensity of the fresh greens.
½ cup apple juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 ½ cups frozen mango
1 cup green grapes
2 cups fresh Glory Foods collard greens
Chop your greens—how finely you will need to chop the greens will depend on the strength of your blender. Combine the lime juice, apple juice, greens, mango and grapes in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding more juice or water as needed to reach the desired consistency.
The main difference between smoothies and juicing is with juicing, all the bulky fiber is removed. You’re looking not to fill your belly with fiber, but to load up your body with nutrients. And because you’re removing the bulk, you get more veggies! As a result, juice has much higher density of vitamins and minerals than the same sized smoothie.
The main downside to juicing is that most of us would need to purchase a juicer to try it at home, and you tend to get what you pay for with these machines. A higher quality juicer will extract better and be easier to clean up, but can cost several hundred dollars.
Health-conscious juicers focus on vegetables. Glory Foods kale, mixed greens and mustard greens all make tasty and nutritious additions to your juice regimen—and they’re already washed and prepared for you! You can also juice cabbage, squash and zucchini and even green beans, but those in the know say if you’re just getting started, you may want to temper the bitter flavors of green veggies with the sweetness of apples, pears or carrots.
Here’s one juice recipe that’s bright and flavorful as well as nutrient-dense:
The Green Machine
2 cups of fresh kale greens
2 Granny Smith apples
1 ounce of peeled fresh ginger
2 stalks celery
Juice according to your juicer’s directions and enjoy immediately.
When it comes down to it, we’re sure that no matter how you’re adding veggies to your diet, whether you juice, blend or go the old fashioned route and eat them, your body will thank you for it.
- Pasta Salads for Summer
- A Red, White & Blue Holiday
- Celebrate Summer with Glory
- A Glorious Easter Contest
- Heart Healthy, all Natural Simply Seasoned
- 2017 Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- McCall Farms Introduces New “See-Thru” Vegetable Can
- A Glory Foods Fried Apple Christmas
- 2016 Glory Foods & Bruce’s Yams Holiday Cookbook
- Farm-fresh, and Easy to Make, Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Recipes
- McCall Farms Shares Farm-Fresh Football Fare
- Growing Kids through Gardening
- Farm Fresh Side Dishes for the 4th of July
- McCall Farms Celebrates Eat Your Vegetables Day
- Glory Foods Power Essence Smoothies
- McCall Farms Shares Delicious Summer Recipes
- National Canned Food Month
- Glory Foods presents #MeatlessMonday
- Happy Holidays from Glory Foods
- Happy Thanksgiving from Glory Foods
- National Dessert Day
- Taste of Charlotte 2015
- A little history on Glory Foods
- 5 Soup Recipes for National Soup Month
- Kale Greens is great for southern recipes and good for you too!
- Glory Foods Brings its Own Style of Southern to Taste of Dallas
- Recipe Contest to Encourage Kids to Eat More Greens!
- School’s Back: Easy Weeknight Meals
- Glory Foods Helps Keep Your Kitchen Cool With No-Oven Meal Ideas
- Drink to Your Health: Smoothies vs. Juicing
- Glory Foods Wins Overall ‘Best Theme’ in ‘Cantribution’ Contest
- Glory Foods Awards Winner of the Race to Feeding America Sweepstakes
- The Possibilities of Eggs Are Easy To Crack with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Goes Global with Fusion Cuisine at Michigan International Women’s Show
- Home Economist Hones Down-Home Recipes for Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Raleigh
- Restaurant Owner to Share Recipes Featuring Glory Foods at Southern Women’s Show in Richmond
- Nutrition Expert Presents Delicious Dishes at Southern Women’s Show in Nashville
- Cooking With Herbs The Glory Foods Way
- Summer Salad Recipes: Easy Dishes Made To Delight
- Making Sauces The Glory Foods Way
- Easter Recipes: Preparing an Easter Feast with Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Announces ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest Winners
- National Nutrition Month: The Good in Glory Foods
- Glory Foods Brings its Soulful Heritage to Southern Women’s Show in Memphis
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products have Southern Twist
- Glory Foods Features Canned Goodness at 2013 Southern Women’s Shows
- Canned Vegetables Nutrition: The Cans of Canned Food
- Glory Foods New Smoked Sausage Products Boast Southern Flavor
- Heart Health Month: Be Sensibly Seasoned About It!
- Glory Foods Launches ‘Honor Your Hero’ Photo Contest in Celebration of Black History Month
- Glory Foods will be Featured on ABC’s ‘The Chew’ starting Friday, Feb 1
- Glory Foods Introduces Touchdown Recipes for the Big Game on Feb 3
- Glory Foods Holiday Decorations Contest Winners Capture Spirit of Season
- Two Students at Ohio State University Awarded the Glory Foods Minority Scholarship
- Glory Foods Sponsors Holiday Food Bank Drive on December 7 & 8 with Myrtle Beach Business
- Glory Foods, Inc. Debuts New Ad Campaign Featuring “The Green Bean Challenge”
- Glory Foods Introduces a Fresh Batch of Recipes for the New Year
- Women Win Glory Foods, Inc. Pumpkin Carving Contest
- NASCAR Drives Face-Off Against Hunger at Bank of American 500 on October 13 for Glory Foods, Inc.
- Race to Feeding American Campaign Donates $50,000 to Feeding America to Benefit Child Hunger Relief
- Black History Month Food: Cooking Up African Culture Rooted in American Soil
- Facts About Cheese and Why We Love It So
- Quick and Easy Soup Recipes to Celebrate National Soup Month
- Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes to Start Your New Year Off Right!
- Hoppin’ John: The Rice and Peas Dish Symbolizing Good Luck Tastes Good - Just in Time for New Years!
- Food: The Gifts of Glory They Won’t Give Away
- Glory Foods Side Dishes Add Kick To Any Dinner
- Thanksgiving Meals from Coast To Coast
- Holiday Desserts: Calories Worth The Plunge
- Green Bean Casserole: A Tradition Meets Diversity
- Vegetables reign in October and beyond
- A Sweet History: Sweet Potatoes are old, but still gold
- Food Banks serve as storehouses of hope
- Glory Foods $1 Million NASCAR Challenge
- Rice: A Universal Food
- Apples are worth the Bite
- Black-Eyed Peas Hash
- Chicagoan Wins Glory Foods Summer Recipe Contest With Sweet Potato Casserole Entry
- Glory Foods, Inc. Introduces “Race To Feeding America” Campaign At Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol
- Back-to-School Breakfast
- Glory Foods Recipe for Turkey, Beans, and Rice Casserole - Perfect for any Weekday Dinner!
- NASCAR Sponsorship/Feeding America
- Glory Foods, Inc. Launches “Race To Feeding America” Campaign
- Collard Greens Compliment Your Cooking
- Your Labor Day Made Easy With Glory Foods
- A Healthy & Delicious Meal
- The Ultimate Fourth of July Feast
- Meet A Dessert You Won’t Desert
- Juneteenth: Celebration of Freedom, Celebration of Food
- Showcase Your Best For Glory Foods’ Recipe Contest
- New Glory Foods Videos Feature Tasty Meals
- Glory Foods Debuts Green Bean Challenge Video Online
- Glory Foods And Richmond Flying Squirrels To Host Food Drive July 22 For Central Virginia Food Bank
- A Northerner’s Introduction to Southern Collard Greens
- Residents of Nebraska, Oregon and Wisconsin Win Prizes in Glory Foods Social Media Photo Contest
- There’s Nobody Like Mom
- The Origin of Collard Greens
- Mother’s Day Cooking Ideas
- Glory Foods Cultivates Canned Food Education at 14th annual Micki Zartman Scarlet & Gray Ag Day
- Glory Foods Launches Social Media Photo Contest To Celebrate Mother’s Day
To get the latest recipes, meal plans and special offers subscribe to our email list.